1. Be socially beneficial.
The expanded reach of new technologies increasingly touches society as a whole. Advances in AI will have transformative impacts in a wide range of fields, including healthcare, security, energy, transportation, manufacturing, and entertainment. As we consider potential development and uses of AI technologies, we will take into account a broad range of social and economic factors, and will proceed where we believe that the overall likely benefits substantially exceed the foreseeable risks and downsides.
AI also enhances our ability to understand the meaning of content at scale. We will strive to make high quality and accurate information readily available using AI, while continuing to respect cultural, social, and legal norms in the countries where we operate. And we will continue to thoughtfully evaluate when to make our technologies available on a non commercial basis.
1.1 Responsible Design and Deployment
Published by: Information Technology Industry Council (ITI) in AI Policy Principles
We recognize our responsibility to integrate principles into the design of AI technologies, beyond compliance with existing laws. While the potential benefits to people and society are amazing, AI researchers, subject matter experts, and stakeholders should and do spend a great deal of time working to ensure the responsible design and deployment of AI systems. Highly autonomous AI systems must be designed consistent with international conventions that preserve human dignity, rights, and freedoms. As an industry, it is our responsibility to recognize potentials for use and misuse, the implications of such actions, and the responsibility and opportunity to take steps to avoid the reasonably predictable misuse of this technology by committing to ethics by design.
8. Principle of user assistance
Published by: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), the Government of Japan in AI R&D Principles
Developers should take it into consideration that AI systems will support users and make it possible to give them opportunities for choice in appropriate manners.
In order to support users of AI systems, it is recommended that developers pay attention to the followings:
● To make efforts to make available interfaces that provide in a timely and appropriate manner the information that can help users’ decisions and are easy to use for them.
● To make efforts to give consideration to make available functions that provide users with opportunities for choice in a timely and appropriate manner (e.g., default settings, easy to understand options, feedbacks, emergency warnings, handling of errors, etc.).
● To make efforts to take measures to make AI systems easier to use for socially vulnerable people such as universal design.
In addition, it is recommended that developers make efforts to provide users with appropriate information considering the possibility of changes in outputs or programs as a result of learning or other methods of AI systems.
3. Technical Leadership
To be effective at addressing AGI’s impact on society, OpenAI must be on the cutting edge of AI capabilities — policy and safety advocacy alone would be insufficient.
We believe that AI will have broad societal impact before AGI, and we’ll strive to lead in those areas that are directly aligned with our mission and expertise.
We will share the benefits of AI throughout society
1. Development of AI systems will be matched by a response to its impact on employment
2. AI will be used to help humans retain purpose and flourish mentally, emotionally and economically alongside AI
3. Access to training, opportunity and tools will be made available to all
4. Education should evolve and reflect the latest developments in AI, enabling people to adapt to societal change