1. Principle of collaboration
Developers should pay attention to the interconnectivity and interoperability of AI systems.
Developers should give consideration to the interconnectivity and interoperability between the AI systems that they have developed and other AI systems, etc. with consideration of the diversity of AI systems so that: (a) the benefits of AI systems should increase through the sound progress of AI networking; and that (b) multiple developers’ efforts to control the risks should be coordinated well and operate effectively. For this, developers should pay attention to the followings:
• To make efforts to cooperate to share relevant information which is effective in ensuring interconnectivity and interoperability.
• To make efforts to develop AI systems conforming to international standards, if any.
• To make efforts to address the standardization of data formats and the openness of interfaces and protocols including application programming interface (API).
• To pay attention to risks of unintended events as a result of the interconnection or interoperations between AI systems that they have developed and other AI systems, etc.
• To make efforts to promote open and fair treatment of license agreements for and their conditions of intellectual property rights, such as standard essential patents, contributing to ensuring the interconnectivity and interoperability between AI systems and other AI systems, etc., while taking into consideration the balance between the protection and the utilization with respect to intellectual property related to the development of AI.
The interoperability and interconnectivity in this context expects that AI systems which developers have developed can be connected to information and communication networks, thereby can operate with other AI systems, etc. in mutually and appropriately harmonized manners.
Published by Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), the Government of Japan in AI R&D Principles, Jul 28, 2017